The Gorge Winds Concert Band is seeking a new conductor for the 2023 season and beyond. This is a volunteer position. Open until filled.
The band's season typically runs from the first week of February through the 4th of July, taking the month of August off, and then resuming the first week of September through the holiday season.
The Gorge Winds Concert Band currently rehearses weekly at The Dalles Middle School in The Dalles, Oregon, on Thursdays from 7pm to 9pm.
The band performs two formal concerts, Spring and Christmas, with additional minor concerts (4th of July and Fall Concert} throughout the year. The formal concerts are typically held on Sunday afternoons at 3pm.
Gorge Winds Concert Band Seeks Musical Conductor
Successful Applicants should have the following:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Music or Music Education or equivalent experience.
- Successful experience as the conductor of a large wind ensemble.
- Knowledge of band literature.
- Leadership qualities in conducting, teaching, and communication skills.
- Can work with adult musicians of all skill and commitment levels.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- A background check is required.
The Director of the Gorge Winds Concert Band (GWCB) will be responsible for the
- Attend all GWCB meetings as an advisory member and work with the Board on the administration of the GWCB.
- In conjunction with the Board, the Director will schedule rehearsals and performances.
- In conjunction with the Board, the Director will make arrangements for concert and rehearsal venues, fill out the necessary building use permits, and negotiate fees as required.
- Control the musical direction of the Band, including the choice of repertoire.
- Select the music for rehearsals and concerts.
- Work with the GWCB Treasurer when purchasing music and materials for the Band, staying within the budget set by the Board of Directors.
- Work with the GWCB Librarian to keep the music library current.
- Work with the GWCB Secretary to have working copies available for the band members.
- Conduct rehearsals and performances. If unable to attend a rehearsal, secure a substitute director.
- In conjunction with the Board, in cases of emergency, find performers to fill vacancies in the Band.
- Conduct at least three concerts annually, including the Christmas and Spring Concerts.
- Additional performances are encouraged, as available. (Traditionally, the GWCB has also performed Fall and Fourth of July Concerts. However, the venues’ availability is variable, and sometimes those performances are not an option.) Work with the Board to confirm arrangements for the concerts.
- Provide concert information necessary for the Board to handle the advertising: flyers, programs, PSAs, billboards, reader boards, etc.
- Maintain a current email list of all band members and send group emails with rehearsal and concert updates to the band membership.
- Set minimal proficiency standards for incoming musicians and follow the guidelines for membership eligibility, as outlined in the Bylaws, Article V.
- Obtain new members’ roster information and forward it to the GWCB Secretary.
- Determine the Band’s seating arrangements for rehearsals and performances.
Click here to download full job description.
Submit your name, address, email address, phone number, and attach a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.